My New York Pilates studio is filled with amazingly successful clients. So amazing and successful that they are traveling for work all the time! Vacations are one thing- but traveling for work can be an exhausting, depleting task. Hours on a dehydrating airplane, lugging luggage the size of boulders, and eating fast food can leave you feeling completely trashed. By the time you get back home you’re “free” time is spent just recuperating until your next world tour. Luckily, I’ve compiled advice from some of the savviest travel mavens just for this occasion. It goes something like this:
- Never Leave Home Without Eating Like Mama always told you- breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Turns out she was right about something- leaving your house for an am flight without filling your belly, is one of THE worst things you can do. Not only will you be more tempted to have a crappy airport danish and giant cup of java, you’ll be cranky and irritable during your flight. Stash some healthy snacks in your carry on like organic apples, granola/protein bars. They won’t perish easily and you’ll stay ahead of the hunger curve.
- Pack Light. Do you really need that extra pair of shoes? Five pairs of pants for five days? You may be glad your outfit matches perfectly, but your back will hate you for lugging your two ton luggage. Style expert, Leslie Gilbert suggests that you pick a items that can be dressed up or down like a maxi skirt or dress. Pick fabrics that are wrinkle free (scrunch them in your hand to test), and fill your boots and shoes with small items like socks or undies to maximize space.
- DRINK- but only non-alcoholic and decaf beverages. Flying is drying (I’m a poet and I know it!) and while you may be tempted to throw one back before a particularly stressful flight you aren’t going to feel so great afterwards. Drink lots of water and herbal tea, to help you stay afloat and fight any jet lag.
- Eat Your Veggies or at least drink them… Green vegetables are the holy grail in terms of vitamins and antioxidants, but when you’re left miles from a Whole Foods what’s a girl to do? Pack ‘em. Get a quality mulit-vitamin and a powdered green drink to add to your H2O. This will keep your immune system top-notch and battle against what’s lurking in that recycled air.
- Take a Chill Pill. Health and lifestyle coach Kara Martin recommends battling travel stress and the upset tummy that can come along with it with a two pronged approach. Pack a probiotic so you can help balance intestinal flora that can get screwy in a new location. Stress is also a big issue with our gut. Martin suggests taking your “chill pill” aka a deep breath when you hit that traffic jam or your flight gets delayed.
- Plan Ahead. Travel can also derail your workout prowess. Collect a couple short and easy exercise routines (something you could do in your jammies) for morning and evenings right in your hotel room. You won’t have to pack extra workout gear, heavy sneakers, and if you already have your 15min wake up and slow down routines you can just go on autopilot. Here’s to see my 10 min travel routine:
How do you stay healthy while traveling? I challenge you to find at least one way to have a healthier trip. Post your insights below and share with someone who is a road warrior just like you!
Get your personalized travel session by visiting our studio. By learning the technique of Pilates in a private, bespoke environment you will be able to maintain your FORM anywhere you go. Let us show you how!
[do action=”blue-optin-box” text=”Like what you see? Sign up for updates… It’s FREE!”]If you like this article, there’s more where that came from. Sign up for our newsletter and get more health and lifestyle tips every month! It’s free![/do]